Succulents are all the rage these days and with good reason. They are cute, colorful, and full of interesting texture. They are easy to work with and make the perfect live addition to any indoor or outdoor space. Their versatility means that they can be incorporated into any style from rustic to modern and dressed up or dressed down. If you have not had the opportunity to host a succulent party for friends and family, now is a great time. Here are some tips to ensure that your planting party is a huge success!
How to Throw the Perfect Succulent Planting Party
Who to invite
A succulent planting party is a perfect way to bring people together for a fun and expression of creativity. If you have a group of couples who you regularly meet with, why not host a succulent planting party? A succulent party is also an excellent way for gal pals to hang out and have fun. Kids can also enjoy a themed succulent birthday party where they can take home a fun pot to care for.
Gathering your supplies for your succulent planting party is easy. Here is what you will need:
- 8” terra cotta pots with drainage holes.
- Succulents – you can often find these sold in trays for a discounted price. Chose a variety of plants.
- Acrylic paint – variety of colors
- Paint trays
- Small cups for water
- Old newspaper – to protect kraft surface
- Lightweight potting mix
- Small pebbles
- Small watering cans
Setting the stage
Once you have invited your guests and collected your supplies, it is time to set the stage.
- Set up tables and chairs where guests can put their pots together.
- Cover tables with newspapers or a dropcloth.
- Fill a large bucket with lightweight potting soil.
- Set out a variety of paints, stencils, trays, brushes, and water on each table.
- Place one watering can on each table.
- Provide themed snacks and drinks for your guests.
- Use stencils or freehand to paint a design on your pot.
- Let your pot dry.
- Fill ½ full with lightweight potting soil.
- Lightly moisten the soil.
- Choose your succulent and tip it lightly out of its pot into your hand.
- Place the succulent in your pot and press down lightly.
- Fill the remaining portion of the pot with lightweight potting soil.
- Water lightly and top your soil with small pebbles.
Other fun activities to do with succulents
Spice up your succulent party by trying these activities:
- Succulent fairy garden – Fairy gardens can add a unique twist to regular container gardening. These whimsical wonderlands are fun to create and are a great way to express your imagination. Shallow containers are best and can be filled with fun miniature items such as little mushrooms, houses, gnomes etc., Use a variety of succulents along with colorful pebbles to add variety to your garden.
- Succulent terrarium – Succulent terrariums can turn a simple glass shape into a beautiful decoration to sit or hang in your home. Terrariums come in all shapes and sizes, and all have an opening where you can reach in to create your masterpiece. You can make your terrarium as simple or intricate as desired using pebbles, succulents, and even moss.
- Succulent living picture – There is something so inviting about a living piece of art. Succulents do well in a vertical container because they grow slowly and have low water requirements. A shadowbox with the glass removed along with some hardware, cloth, plants, and soil are needed to make a beautiful piece of living art.
- Succulent wreath – Although succulent wreaths require a bit more time and energy to create, the investment is worthwhile. This might be a great girls weekend project as you can work on it a bit at a time. These beautiful wreaths make an inviting display hung on your front door, patio, or inside on any wall.
Are you ready to have fun with succulents?